Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why the picture book idea is currently not employed.

We´ve been back in Buenos Aires for just over two weeks. Jane has arrived. Safely, even though it took her over 3 hours to get from the airport to the hostel.

We rented another apartment, this time in Palermo, with a 25m balcony. Yes. A 25m balcony of glory. Facing north as well, meaning the sun streamed in to dry our clothes washed in true backpacker style - in the sink.

Palermo is lovely with its tree lined streets and plazas galore. It houses my favourite cafe in Buenos Aires. An organic vegetarian cafe with divine smells emanating from it, $6.50NZ bottles of organic wine and blueberry juice. Set in a little patio area, the sweet sounds of someone tinkling on a piano flow down from the upstairs shuttered windows. The only good part of a terrible day shopping, Jane and I vowed to bring Derek back to this little gem.

Our waiter gave us a big grin as Jane and I sheepishly walked back into the cafe with Derek in tow, and sat at the same table we had the day before. Ordering a bottle of wine, a quinoa salad and a rather handsome pizza, Derek, Jane and I set about having a fantastic lunch. The waiteress came over twice to see that Derek was okay after he was unable to stop laughing for about 10 minutes. It wasn´t until I returned from the toilet that I noticed my bag - that had been sitting between Derek and I - wasn´t there. I wasn´t worried - Derek does things like hiding bags all the time, but unfortunately for me, I had become too relaxed about how close you really need your bag to be in order for it not to be stolen. Turns out there was a couple who sat down behind us, then decided not to order and left ... taking my bag with them, complete with my Canon baby and my ipod.

Here we were, three of us at the table, and the bag was stolen right from between two of us. Here we were, having good wholesome fun, feeding our minds and bodies with rich organic food, and some trashy couple has the nerve to take my bag. Not even young punks. People in their 50´s who target wholesome cafes. I wonder if they believe in Karma.

So we had our apartment for a week and now we are back at the hostel. Jane and I officially hate shopping as you can´t find anything when you want to, the air of Buenos Aires appears to be entirely made up of carbon monoxide and cigarrette smoke and clothes are starting to get a little tight with the constant supply of dulce de leche ... but I like Buenos Aires ... ¡Me gusta mucho Buenos Aires!

No comments: