So we decided to get out of Buenos Aires for awhile and add another country to my list of 'Countries I've Visited' (which is currently pretty small).
We travelled by boat (complete with in-float entertainment of dancers with costumes that barely held onto their tanned bodies) to Colonia in Uruguay.
Colonia is a quaint little town on the Southern/South West coast of Uruguay. It has plenty of history in its cobblestone streets, little houses with old lantern street lights out front and museums that were open at odd hours.
Derek suggested we bike around the town seeing as it was so small. Great idea except that a) we had to ride on the other side of the road, b) I can't look over my left shoulder terribly well and c) I'm not sure there are any road rules in Uruguay. I can't figure out who has right of way when.
But with persistance, I got on the rattly old bike and took off down the street, following at a great distance behind Derek - those of you who know me well, know I have negative fitness level and probably because I kept getting off the bike to cross the road. We followed the coast, complete with concrete sky and upside down Rio De La Plata views. Upon returning (ever so slowly, as my arse was hurting by this time) to the town, we rode towards the old part of the city. It was on this small journey that I had my near death experience with a golf cart.
Yes.
A golf cart.
See, upon reaching the cross roads, it became clear that neither she nor I knew who had right of way. She revved that golf cart's engine until she was doing at least 3 km an hour and I had to swerve around her, defying death by the slimmest of margins.
I may be elaborating.
We have spent time in Montevideo - a city the size of Auckland that has the most odd mix of architecture. We took a bike ride (again - I'm getting good at this) along the waterfront, where the Rio De La Plata was still brown. The sky had finally cleared up to the blue but the highrise buildings along the front of the beaches did nothing remotely picturesque. I think Derek took pictures of the clouds instead.
Montevideo can be summed up by two things - Vdub Beetles (there are scores of them here) and caballos de basuras (in terrible spanish) or Rubbish horses. Horses with carts that clip clop around the streets while their drivers collect the rubbish.
I sit now in Punta Del Diablo - a small fishing/surfing village which is as cool as the name sounds. Derek and I are one of 7 tourists currently in the town. It has a population of about 700 right now - although I haven't seen much proof of this - which sky rockets to thousands during summer. Progress is evident as there are at least 25 "houses" being built around this hostel. It's growing as the out of towners hook into this grand little place hidden in the sand dunes. During winter (ie now) there is nothing open. Two restaurants out of the 10 we've seen, the supermarket is shut down, you can't go horse riding or hire bikes. Pretty much there is nothing to do but play in the sand dunes, read and watch the Atlantic Ocean. Our first jaunt to the beach rewarded us with the view of two pods of 4 - 7 dolphins and 1 seal swim along the shore line.
Our dinner last night was served to us by Ernesto - the owner, chef, musician of El Viejo y El Mar. This is a unique restaurant. The dog (Papita) sits by your table all night (alternating between who has the most food on their plate) and the walls are covered by memorabilia from past customers. Ernesto has been there for five years, serving fresh fish, interacting with his customers and relating funny stories about how busy it gets during summer. He even sings a couple of tracks on the cd that is playing through the speakers. The wine is specially made for his restaurant, complete with grainy black and white label with him and Papita on it. We spent 4 hours there last night, stoking the fire, patting Papita and eating. It seemed strange to have to pay after feeling like guests in a house.
Apologies for lack of photos. They are on their way. This country has too many interesting things to not put up photos.
1 comment:
Hey Beck! Great to see your out and about getting new experiences and living life to it's fullest. I'm so gutted we miss you in NZ, but I will see you eventually. Well all the best for your travels, and you never know where Kristin and I end up in NZ...
Love Marty
Post a Comment