Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I've been looking so long at my pictures of you

So it's been a while since I've put anything up on here. Guess other things take priority (and I'm NOT talking about the latest cyber friendship site).

I've been busy with music concerts as there's been a speight of good bands over here recently.

I took my parents to Bob Dylan (those who know my dad know what a Dylanoid he is) in Christchurch. Third row tickets to see a living legend. He played a decent set with songs from old and new albums. What I love about Bob Dylan concerts is you don't go to hear the song how it is on the record. He adapts it in so many ways. Not many other artists I know change their songs so much and still make them sound incredible.
Highlights included 'Tangled Up in Blue', 'Masters of War' and 'Don't Think Twice'.

Not content with a single concert, I flew straight up to Auckland after a day of work in Wellington to see The Cure. A three hour epic show seen from the front row (of course. I couldn't have been anywhere else). I made eye contact with Robert twice (even making him laugh with my stupid facial response). I was smack bang in the middle between Robert and Porl (the guitarist) meaning I could swoon up at Robert as he gave the most incredible rendition of 'Pictures of You' and marvel at Porl's prowess on the guitar.

And of course I asked for the pick. Mouthed it out to Porl as we made eye contact again. He laughed (I must have been the standing joke for the band) and mouthed back, "after the concert". Sure enough, at the beginning of the third encore, he comes out and throws the tiny purple pick at me. It lands infront of the crowd, two people over (who I knew from the 6 hour lining up stage) but that didn't stop me from yelling, "Piss off! that's mine!". Whoooo, never mess with me and my favourite band.

So that's what I've been doing.

Oh and while I was in Auckland, my friends took me out for a posh dinner at this fancy restaurant. You know, I was given flowers, chaffeured to the valet service, that sort of thing.
And wouldn't you know we met a Danish princess.


Here she is waving to her adoring fans. We had a chat about things ... life, family and danishes.

Which was nice.

No comments: