Friday, December 01, 2006

U2 - The Post.

Almost a year to the day of waiting. And once again, it was Gitika and I.
Waiting.
Queuing
For U2.



The journey began on the Thursday when Gitika and I drove up to Auckland. Once out of Wellington, it was amazing weather and Gitika instantly regretted her decision to wear track pants.
The drive was long and Gitz did well to do it alone (through sheer stubborness to relinquish the wheel). I did have to coach her how to drive on the motorway. Wait .. shouldn't I get a medal for that? :) Just kidding Gitz.

Unable to accept that fact that I may have to watch U2 from many rows back and through a sea of heads and hands, I took Joel's advice and decided to line up early to get in the eclipse. 10.30am with no thought as to supplies to keep me going until 5pm when they opened the gates. Only 200 people had beaten me to it. Good numbers when you consider the fact that 2000 fit into the eclipse. Urgent texting followed as I implored Gitz to come early before the 'hordes' arrived and she didn't make it into the tent. What is it with New Zealanders and their laidback excitement? In the end, they didn't need to shut the tent til 4pm.

Gitz and I had befriended those next in line, who discussed tactics with us on how to get to the bar and which place is best for viewing. Authorities drummed into us that we were under no circumstances to RUN to the field. Anyone caught running will be held back. Held back! There was no way we were risking that and decided that as long as both feet didn't leave the ground at the same time, we weren't running.



We ended up splitting up from our fellow liner-uppers and going for the bar at the end of the right arm. There we met Earl and Rach who helped guard our post when nature called or thirst descended on us.

Of course it rained (if you don't like the weather in Auckland, wait ten minutes). We got cold. My fingers were numb and the only thing to do to warm up was to dance to Kanye West. Who came out wearing dark sunglasses. Need I say more?

Nothing could prepare us for the opening of U2. As we realised band members were walking onto stage, Rach and Lisa starting screaming "Oh my f***king god it's Bono!". Bono had walked up the steps across the arm from us. Bono was no more than 3 m from us. He circled the end of the arm basking in arrogant glory and I completely lost it.

Does that surprise you?

Friday's concert:
It's so hard to describe the concert. The lighting was incredible - 3 stories high of lights is almost certainly going to make for an impressive concert.



I was overcome with emotion when they played One Tree Hill. I had no money on my phone to call Martin and I thought of how sobering the concert would have been for us had it been played on the 17th March - having just lost a friend suddenly earlier that week.



During Where the Streets Have No Name, the entire eclipse had blown up balloons (Green, White and Orange) and let them all go during the middle 'Love Love Love' bit. Bono was completely speechless after that song. (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnbnQgd5lU)





Larry came and played his snare drum down on our arm (only metres away!) for Sunday Bloody Sunday.







Bono brought his girl from the crowd down the right arm for With Or Without You. She was really into hugging him and kissing him ... a little too much. And then there is a huge write up about it in the paper - even though it happens at every U2 concert. Still, at least it meant Bono was down near us again!

The concert was 2 1/2 hours long with 2 encores. During Kite, Bono let go of a kite (now for sale on Trade Me for upwards of $1200) and of course it got stuck in the lighting fixtures when he let it free (all dramatic-like with a lighter to sever the rope). Oh well - it can't always be perfect!

Friday's Set List:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will follow
New Year’s Day
Beautiful Day
One Tree Hill
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (in the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

Encores
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

The Saints are Coming
Angel of Harlem
Kite


Some extraordinarily generous person bought me a ticket to Saturday's show as well. Knowing how things worked, I again lined up around 11 - 11.30am. Derek joined me not long after that - with Andy (not to be confused with Andy Pandy Pants) who had saved Derek's arse by flashing his ticket at the gate keepers. Derek decided rather than text me he'd just walk into Mt. Smart Stadium without showing a ticket. Got away with it too.

Our friendly line neighbours were Liv and Linda (who were completely fabulous to share the concert with!) who supplied us with cushions and crackers (once again I was unprepared food wise).
To be honest, I think Saturday's show was bigger than Friday's. The entire stadium seemed charged. Derek and I had speed-walked to get prime position on the bar again (for the four of us as Linda and Liv were sticking with us. This time we were further around the right arm than Friday night so that we had a clearer view to the stage (no heads to look through) but still right on the rail. We had our rail safe-keeping in place, allowing us to be supplied with drinks and toilet stops. The wine went down quite nicely until I knocked the remaining bottles over and they soaked into the chips. Whoops.



(Bono as he enters onto the stage at the start of the show)

The band didn't come down the extended stage so much this concert and we never got to see The Edge up close, but could see easily enough over to the other arm when him and Bono did their thing over there. They played Bad (which Derek nearly had a heart attack when they began the opening riff) and Desire - huge songs!

Here are pictures of Adam ... when he was playing to us. To Us!!!!












Set List for Saturday:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End of the World
Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Angel of Harlem
Walk On
Sometimes
Bad
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Encores
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

The Saints are Coming
Desire
One Tree Hill



Bono got another girl up during Mysterious Ways (thank god she could dance) and sang to her for With or Without You. Thankfully a little less seedy this time.

He also got a child up on stage for Sunday Bloody Sunday. He put a COEXIST bandanna on her (upside down I might add) and got her to start the "No more!" chant for the crowd.

Ending on One Tree Hill was almost emotional (what is it with concerts being an excuse to leave all logical emotion at home?). Even the band seemed overwhelmed as they waved goodbye and parted finally.


Now comes the part to make you all green with envy. See this pick?



It says U2. Yup, it's a U2 pick. Not purchased from anywhere. Not recieved from the roadie soundchecking the cordless bass/guitar ... no siree. This pick was given to me personally by ..

ADAM CLAYTON!!!

During Where the Streets Have No Name (Saturday), Adam came down our arm and stood in front of us. He has this great look on his face. His smile implies that we look like a bunch of idiots all yelling and screaming at him but he loves it anyway. I decided that this was the 'now or never' moment, so I pleaded "Pick! Please! Pick! Please!" - it's amazing how well people can lipread when you exaggerate your mouth movements, lean over the handrail, cup your hands, hold them up and have this pained look on your face. Pure class.


As the song finished, I couldn't believe it when he leant down and reached out his hand. Liv also reached out (her dream come true! A "moment" with Adam!) and touched his hand. He pulled his hand away before squatting down further and placing his hand in mine, making sure I had a hold of the prized possession before he let it go.

Unbelievable.

The next song was One and I can hardly remember it from leaping around going "Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god!". Derek asked me on several occasions if I was okay. I wasn't. My hands were shaking and I quadruple checked that I had safely zipped the pick up in my jacket.

He could of handed me anything! It was the simple fact that he purposely gave it to me that still has me having little leaping around "Oh My God" moments. Stupid really. He's only a person.

Still. I might make a pendant out of it. Hang it round my neck .. right next to Jesus .

For more photos, see http://www.getjealous.com/U2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I had the best time with you guys up here! Of course it would have been a much different weekend without the services of Holel de la Andrew!

Musobeck said...

Hotel de Andrew was an amazing place to stay. The hospitality was to such a high standard that I'm thinking of going back again soon ...

Unknown said...

Reading you blog almost makes me cry.

Marty & Rick said...

OMG! Sorry I have taken so long to read this blog, I am totally overwhelmed by your experiences. WOWeeeee i can't believe you have a U2 pick!!! Can I see it? can i touch it? Can I keep it? Wow, you deserve it though, for all the waiting you have endured for the moment(s). Wish I could have been there, and yes Sibylla and One Tree Hill... what can I say? My thoughts were with you, and I am now living through your experiences... love Marty