Its been over a month since I've been here and each day I find something new to smile at that this city gives.
Take cycling for instance. Not one to have physical stamina for any sport except dance, I have finally found my niche in cycling. I have seen one serious cyclist, complete with neon fluro tights and top, since being here. One. And he wasn't even moving. He has stopped at the corner to have a sip from his drink bottle.
The rest of the city moves about on bikes that are older than me by a good generation, without helmet and usually with only one gear. Considering the grid layout of the inner city and the rather consistent flat nature of the urban sprawl, this city is made for biking. Surely the traffic is a danger! I hear you say. Surprisingly, I felt more at ease in the manic traffic of main artery Avenida Corrientes than in Auckland suburbs. Oh sure, nobody here gives a rats arse about road rules, but somehow that makes it easier to manage. Since nobody drives in the lanes, there is usually a large bubble around the cyclists. And since everyone seems to know the size of their car down to the last millimeter, the most danger comes from crossing intersections. Here it is best to use your own eyes rather than traffic signals.
I intend to video a drive through the city. Just once. It's so much fun and similar to being in a movie. As soon as I figure out how to upload photos and video to the blog. Until then you are stuck with my words.
No comments:
Post a Comment